Fox Valley Anime Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fox Valley Anime Society

The anime club for the older fan!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Hua Mulan (2009 Film)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
BlondShutterBug

BlondShutterBug

Hua Mulan (2009 Film) Empty
PostSubject: Hua Mulan (2009 Film)   Hua Mulan (2009 Film) Icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 7:27 pm

Watched Hua Mulan (2009)

Hua Mulan follows the Chinese folktale of Hua Mulan, about a young woman who dresses as a man to fight in the war in place of her father.

My review of Hua Mulan (2009)

I wasn't really sure what to expect, when watching the movie. The only thing about the story of Mulan that i knew, was what i learned from the Disney version. But i'm pretty sure, people who watch this movie wouldn't actually (and rightfully) expect there to be much similarity between the two.

One thing that i think is important about this movie is, do not see it expecting to see things you've seen in "similar" movies. You might be disappointed. Because if you expect this to be anything like the classic martial arts movies, that it is most certainly not. And yes, this is also a love story, but just like the fighting and everything else, to me it seems that the people who made this movie gave a lot of thought to how much romance would be possible under the circumstances.

Also it didn't seem like miss Zhao didn't put in much effort when Mulan pretended to be a man. But personally i don't really mind, actually appreciate it in a way. I think it would have seems a little ridiculous, and this movie is by no means meant to be comedic. The viewer knows she's pretending to be a man and that nobody notices it, there would be no point in having the actress try to talk with a deep voice or even choosing a different actress who is more masculine. That's simply not what the movie is about.

All in all i think this movie is absolutely worth watching if you're not too focused on any aspect of Chinese cinema, but even then it might well be worth your time! I will be purchasing this movie and is available to anyone that would like to barrow it as lone as I get it back. ;D
Back to top Go down

Hua Mulan (2009 Film)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Fox Valley Anime Society :: Film and TV :: Film-
Jump to: