Fox Valley Anime Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fox Valley Anime Society

The anime club for the older fan!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Manga Madness - January 18, 2013

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
DabbleDeDork

DabbleDeDork

Manga Madness - January 18, 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Manga Madness - January 18, 2013   Manga Madness - January 18, 2013 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 5:37 am

We're doing a major overhaul on meetings! We will now be meeting every three weeks first as a manga madness meeting!

Please bring your favorite manga! But we won't be just reading! We will be discussing everything and anything about manga: favorite stories, genres, how it differs from its western counterpart, etc etc etc

Meeting will be as always at the Appleton Public Library from 3 PM - 5:30 PM in Meeting Room D!

After the meeting we will be meeting at Otakugirl85's place for the showing. Direction will be given at the Manga Madness meeting, so please make it if you can! We will be watching Sengoku Basara!

Hope to see you there!

Last edited by DabbleDeDork on Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://dabblededork.tumblr.com
quarion

quarion

PostSubject: Re: Manga Madness - January 18, 2013   Manga Madness - January 18, 2013 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 4:39 am

Loving the idea of the new meeting format. With the later extension of the meetings, I'm hoping I'll finally be able to convince my brother to come to a meeting, but it will still be tough to convince him to come instead of going to the Friday night Magic: The Gathering tournaments he usually attends. Any word on what we'll be watching? Maybe I can lure him in if its something that catches his interest.
Back to top Go down
DabbleDeDork

DabbleDeDork

PostSubject: Re: Manga Madness - January 18, 2013   Manga Madness - January 18, 2013 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2013 1:05 am

I was thinking Sengoku Basara. I takes feudal Japanese history and just totally messes with it. One man armies, horses decked out in chopper gear, people who die yet come back for the next season for no other reason but for the 'Rule of Cool'. Trust me, Sengoku Basara is not something to miss. Plus since last week we couldn't show Steins;gate (though someday we will watch it), I've decided that it will be Item Box week again. And Sengoku Basara fits that in SPADES.
Back to top Go down
quarion

quarion

PostSubject: Re: Manga Madness - January 18, 2013   Manga Madness - January 18, 2013 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2013 5:40 am

I think I've seen ads for Sengoku Basara, but I've never actually watched it. I certainly look forward to seeing what it is all about.

Now that we are moving to private showings, I was wondering what our group's stance on online streaming for showings is (legal streaming, of course). Obviously a physical copy would be preferred over a stream, but there are many shows that I've watched online that I would recommend and I don't know if a physical copy would necessarily be available to our group. There are even more that are only subtitled at this point in time, but I know those are no good for group showings. I don't know if the legality of showing physical copies differs from that of showing stream so I would understand if it isn't possible, but I thought I would ask.

On the topic of things I would recommend, if we would ever want to branch out into anime movies, I own and would recommend Summer Wars and Paprika. I should really just compile a list of all of my anime sometime as I'd probably recommend most of it.
Back to top Go down
DabbleDeDork

DabbleDeDork

PostSubject: Re: Manga Madness - January 18, 2013   Manga Madness - January 18, 2013 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2013 9:58 pm

Both online (legal) streaming and physical copies (legal) are both allowed. The only stipulation is that if it is a Sub that people are made aware that it is ONLY available that way, that way they can make the decision if they want to come watch and discuss with us or not. I only say this because some members have trouble reading subtitles, they have told me they are willing, but wish to be notified if we do watch them beforehand.

And legal streaming is good because I want to show one of the most influential shoujo anime of all time, The Rose of Versailles, which is only available in subtitles from Nozomi/Rightstuf.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Manga Madness - January 18, 2013   Manga Madness - January 18, 2013 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Manga Madness - January 18, 2013
Page 1 of 1